- Add a new page or Edit an existing page
- On the right side, there’s a Page Attributes panel. If you do not see it, at the top right corner of the screen, click on the Screen Options button. Afterward, mark the Page Attributes check box.
- The Page Attributes panel has a Template option. It’s a drop-down list of optional custom page templates.
- Select the page template you want to use.
- Click on the Publish page button or Update button.
Your theme typically has information on whether the custom page template needs content filled in as well.
Taking It a Step Further
After you’ve assigned a custom page template to a page, you can tell your site to use this page as the front page and here’s how:
- On the left side of the WordPress dashboard, go to Settings > Reading.
- For the Front Page Displays setting, select A Static Page
- Now, the Front Page drop-down options are available to you.
- Select the page you want to use as the front page.
- Click on Save Changes button.
If this is your first time using this option, you more than likely don’t have a page already reserved for the Posts Page option. If you really don’t, create a new blank Page and then come back to Settings > Reading to set your Posts Page.