Restaurant Menu Items
To create and manage menu items, you first need to download and install the Restaurant plugin by Justin Tadlock.
Once installed and activated:
- Go to your
Settings > Permalinkpage
- Select something other than Default then click on Save Changes. If you’ve already done so before installing the plugin, click on Save Changes anyway to make sure the plugin will work smoothly with the permalink rules.
You will notice a new parent link named, “Restaurant,” in your WordPress sidebar menu. Follow that link to add/create new menu items.
This theme comes with two custom menus locations: Primary and Secondary. By default, Primary is the left menu and Secondary is the right. For RTL (right-to-left) language users, that order will be switched around.
When you link to social media sites, like Twitter for example, Ravintola will automatically add a logo icon of that site next to your link. There’s no special step you need to take, the theme will scan to see if “twitter.com” exists within the link address. The same goes for Instagram, Facebook, etc.
There are two additional icons: Envelope (for email links) and RSS (for RSS feed links).
- Envelope icon, if URL contains
- RSS icon, if URL ends with
This theme has two custom page templates: Showcase and About.
- Select a page to use this template.
- Upload three photos to be used
- Go to
Appearance > Customize > Template: Showcaseand fill out the settings. Examples of settings output for this section are available below.
- Set this new page as your new home page
- Select a page to use this template.
- Upload seven photos to be used
- Write about your restaurant/business history in the content editor area.
If you’re not familiar with custom page templates, here’s a tutorial.
Theme Settings are accessible via
Appearance > Customize
This group of settings handles the content on any page using the Showcase custom page template.
- Business Description: Write a few sentences about your restaurant or business here.
- Owner Photo: Preferably 210 by 210 pixels, upload a photo of yourself or a photo of the head chef here.
- Owner Bio: Related to the previous setting, write a few words about person in the above photo.
- Business Hours: Copy and paste the codes below then edit the hours to match your own.
<ul> <li>Breakfast: 7 am to 12 pm, Mon-Sat</li> <li>Lunch: 7 am to 12 pm, Mon-Sat</li> <li>Dinner: 7 am to 12 pm, Mon-Sat</li> <li><span class="except">Closed on Sundays</span></li> </ul>
</span>giving the “Closed on Sundays” a different style making the phrase stand out.
This group of settings handle content at the bottom of the site, which will be displayed site-wide.
- Insert Map Code: Go to Google Maps and look up your business’s address. Once done, find the Link icon and click on it. Google will give you codes to copy and paste. Here’s an example:
<iframe width="764" height="420" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=57+Tr%C6%B0%C6%A1ng+C%C3%B4ng+%C4%90%E1%BB%8Bnh,+tp.+%C4%90%C3%A0+L%E1%BA%A1t,+L%C3%A2m+%C4%90%E1%BB%93ng,+Vietnam&aq=1&oq=57+truong+con&sll=37.269174,-119.306607&sspn=11.707455,26.784668&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=57+Tr%C6%B0%C6%A1ng+C%C3%B4ng+%C4%90%E1%BB%8Bnh,+1,+%C4%90%C3%A0+L%E1%BA%A1t,+L%C3%A2m+%C4%90%E1%BB%93ng,+Vietnam&t=m&z=14&ll=11.94416,108.434506&output=embed"></iframe>
By default, Google (currently) will give you a 425 by 350 iframe. Change that to 764 by 420 for a better fit with the Ravintola theme.
- Address Primary Section: You may place anything here. In the theme’s demo, it’s used for displaying a testimonial. For example:
<h3>What people are saying...</h3> “Cras porta blandit cursus. Nam nibh quam, blandit in accumsan ut, sollicitudin non nibh. Maecenas enim purus, volutpat vel imperdiet quis, ullamcorper quis orci. Duis sem lacus, vulputate at interdum sit amet...”
<h3>tags to style headlines.
- Address Secondary Section: Same as the primary section, place anything here. In the demo, it gives the actual address. For example:
<h3>Location</h3> <address> 57 Truong Conh Dinh<br> Phuong 1, Dalat, Vietnam<br> <span class="phone">063.3511.524</span><br> <span class="email">firstname.lastname@example.org</span> </address>
<br>tags are used for line breaks.
Ravintola has been tested and styled for Clean My Archives plugin.
If you need to make additional style changes or alter the theme template files, please read this post, which also includes downloadable child themes.
- Wrong image sizes: Install the Ajax Thumbnail Rebuild plugin. Use it to regenerate your images.